The developers of modular Fairphone 2 announced the coming start of the first batch of smartphones' delivery. Let us recall, this summer the prototypes were presented, and in October the accepting of pre-orders for this unusual model started. The first batch is quite small - only 200 units. The second one will contain 800 ones. Those who ordered a smartphone in December, will get it in January. On the official website of Fairphone 2 (fairphone.com/phone/), it can be ordered for the price of €529.
By design, Fairphone is a kind of "ethical" smartphone, the production of it is established with components coming from "conflict-free" regions with "fair" salaries for workers. A customer will be able to use a smartphone for a long time without having to buy an entirely new device. Repairs will be unproblematic, and what is more, the producer is going to take responsibility for the possibility of disposing worn-out smartphones.
Durability and ease are provided by the modularity. With the lapse of time, a user will be able to update his smartphone, replacing separate parts of it, starting with a robust housing and a module with the "basis" - a processor, memory and modem.
Currently the specifications of Fairphone 2 include:
- a 5-inch screen with Full HD resolution (1080 x 1920, 446 ppi),
- Gorilla Glass 3 - 0.7 mm,
- the Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor,
- 2 GB of LPDDR3 RAM and 32 GB of internal flash memory,
- 8-megapixel main camera with flash,
- 2-megapixel front camera
- 240 mAh battery,
- micro SD (SDHC, SDXC, UHS),
- the support of 2 Micro-SIM-cards, Dual-Standby
- 4G LTE/3G/2G,
- WiFi (802.11 b/g/n/ac),
- Bluetooth 4.0 LE,
- GPS, A-GPS, Glonass,
- FM radio, headset jack 3.5 mm, dual microphones, 3-colour notification LED,
- 2420 mAh Maxell Lithium-Ion battery
- Android 5.1 Lollipop operating system,